We have around 3 0r4 inches of snow on the trail now and there is more snow predicted today. If it doesn’t turn to rains then we could be open by later this Saturday through Sunday. There will be rains later this week so I can’t say how long the trails will last as of now. I will post more as I know more. Ski park just called and said a pickup already drove on it this morning but we can groom out that tire rut if we get some more snow. Keeping our fingers crossed.
How about that. Just when you think the possibility of not getting in operation this season, now they are predicting decent snow producing storms for the Month of March!!!! If this forecast continues we will be available for tours this spring. As soon as we see definite storms that will produce workable amounts of snow we will post it on this blog site.
Well it has been quite the winter. We did receive 10″ of snow a week ago, but unfortunately we had two days of hard rains that took all of our snow with it. I don’t see any snow of enough amounts to get us going through this next weekend of the 22nd and 23rd. It breaks our hearts to have to call clients and inform them of the bad news. If by chance we don’t get into operation this winter, we do plan on doing tours again next year and God willing, years to come. If you made a deposit for this season you have two options. Often folks have us hold the deposit for the next season or you may e-mail me with your present address and I will refund you with my personal check. I don’t like to refund through Paypal because it is a pain in the butt. Gift certificates are good for years to come. I don’t refund gift certificates unless it is in family gift, (example: husband to wife).
We are planning on having a new and exciting addition for our customers by next October. The newest adventure sport of Dog Cart Tours! I have been looking for a cart for years that would help extend our season from Oct. till the snow falls and then again cart rides in the spring through May. I have finally found the cart that will be both exciting and fun to ride in while offering the safety that Dogsled Express demands for its clients. We will be offering private and group tours. Details as the year progresses. For some reason I am having a hard time creating a link to Moose River Carts. We will be getting a six seat unit. You may google: Moose River Cart Co. to see pictures of the cart.
If you think dog cart rides is something you might like, please dropus an e-mail of your interest so we can get some feedback from you. Thanks Pat
We will not be giving tours this weekend due to the heavy rains that we received on our snow from last weekend. We do have a good base throughout most of our trail system but we need a cold snow to come in and fill in the open spots on the lower part of the trail. Good news is that we do have a cold snow storm coming in next Tuesday so it is looking positive for next week’s tours. I will know more in a couple of days when NOAA predicts the snow amounts coming in. Thanks for your patience with this unusual winter we are having.
We’ve received around 12″ of snow two nights ago and then had rain off and on since. Monday I will go to the trailhead and hopefully after the hard rains today that there will be still decent snow conditions so I can groom the trail out and then it should freeze Monday night and set up to where we can operate on it with dogsleds. We have tours booked for next week and are praying that we will be able to provide good conditions. There is a series of small storms throughout this week and if the temps would drop just a couple of degrees less than predicted then we would get some wonderful lights snows and the trails would be awesome. I will update again Monday night after I see what the trail looks like. Thanks so much for your patience and interest in still getting out on a tour with us this season. Pat Campbell
Big News. We are suppose to have a significant snow coming in by next weekend. We will give you more as we see it. As of now the City of Mount Shasta is predicted to get 10″ of snow which may mean 1 to 2 feet of snow at our trailhead. There are more spring snows called for into Mid-March, so we may have excellent spring time sledding conditions. Keep up the snow dances!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is looking very hopeful that we will be getting a substantial amount of snowfall for the month of Feb. If we have the snow tours will be available for the 8th and 9th of Feb., because the Siskiyou Sled Dog races have been postponed until the second weekend in March. We are taking reservations for Feb. and March. No deposits will be necessary for the remainder of the season. Thank you for all the people that are still staying in contact for tours for the remainder of the season. We need your business this season to continue in future years.
We have some weather coming in this week but realistically we don’t see the storms that we need to get into operation until around the first of February. Accuweather is showing a series of storms from Feb. 2nd through Feb. 14th so we are hoping to get started as soon as we have our trails covered and safe navigate a large dog team. Since this forecast came out yesterday we have booked 6 more tours in Feb. and many more inquiries. Due to our late start we will have tours available by special request for Mondays and Tuesdays if they are the only dates available to you or your family, or if the weekend tours are booked up and you will still be in town. We would normally take those days off , but we need your business to help make up for the lack of snow and late start. We are really hoping for a late spring with lots of snow like we had four years ago, so we have more time to get all the folks out on their wish list tour with Dogsled Express.
We have the Siskiyou Sled Dog Races scheduled for Feb 8th and 9th. They are held on the north side of Mount Shasta and there have been years that our trails where we normally give tours have good snow conditions and we can give tours,…. but the trails we need for the races are not available which would mean that we would have tours available the 8th and 9th at our normal trailhead near the ski park, if the races are cancelled. If we are able to hold the races then Dogsled Express will offer a tour at the race location (Deer Mountain Snowmobile Park) at 2:00 pm both days, after we have run our race category. So come to the races and then go out on a tour!
The dogs and myself are bored from running the same trails during training and we can’t wait to get on the snow. Often one doesn’t realize how much something means to us until we have it taken from us. The dogs and I really miss meeting the new friends that we make while sharing our beautiful trails. Please consider taking a tour with us “This Season” so we can continue giving tours in the years to come. Waiting to hear from you. Thanks, Pat
We are getting excited that there is a possibility that we may have snow coming next week. Depending upon the amounts we might be able to open the weekend of the 12th. We have Free Kids Rides Day planned on the 12th. That trail will need more snow than the trail that we use for tours, so it is possible that if we don’t have enough snow for the Free Kids Rides we might have enough for tours. So keep posted to this website. We should know more by early next week when we start getting predictions for snow accumulation. Thank you for everyone’s patience. With all the calls that we have been getting even though we are not in operation, I believe we can still have a successful season despite the late start.
Sadly we are still not open for business due to lack of snow! It breaks my heart to have all the phone calls for tours and we have to tell folks that we are not in operation yet. We truly hope that you won’t give up on us yet for this winter season for your tour with us. Being that we are losing out Holiday business still are counting on your business this winter to be able to stay open next season. Sled dogs are not like a snowmobile rental business where the machines are just parked…..these guys keep eating to the tune of $300.00 of dog food every 9 to 10 days! Please keep checking our website for our opening date. We will post snow predictions as we see them. Happy New Year, Pat