We here at Dogsled Express are very excited about the upcoming 2014-2015 Winter Season of offering our tours again to the public. We are already having calls and we are now taking reservation requests to start the easy reservation process. Just fill in the asked for info on the reservation page and we will check your info out and the dates and times you are interested in. Then we cross reference to our calendar and enter your initials on the calendar…..once we then receive the easy deposit of $50 through Paypal (off the reservation page) or receive a check for the deposit, then we verify that we received it, by entering a (PD) on the calendar and you know then that you are locked in for the date and time you requested. So looking forward to hearing from all of you and giving you and yours an experience of a lifetime with Dogsled Express Winter Guided Sled Dog Tours.
W e are currently renewing our permit process and are training the dogs every day to get them back in top running condition. We are so looking forward to this winter being that last season we were not able to open because of lack of snow. At this point last year there were no indications on moisture in November and this year there are storms predicted often throughout Nov. . Great news ! (Accuweather) The storm gates are opening. We made up for some of last last winter’s bad financial hit by getting in 45 days on the fires falling dangerous dead trees as a professional C-faller. Went to the Eiler and Bald Fires first. Then to the Beaver fire on the Klamath and almost two full 14 day shifts on the huge Happy Camp Complex. When we got there it was 4thousand acres and the last report I saw put it near 125,000 acres. WE will be often updating info and will post some pictures of our training season. Hope to here from you all as our winter approaches. Think lots of Snow.
It’s Official…Dogsled Express Closed for the 13-14 Winter that never was. New Plans for next season!
The winter that never was. Dogsled Express has been in business for 25 years and this was the first year we never gone the sleds on the snow. With the winter off, it has allowed me some time to look into some possibilities that may pay off for Dogsled Express’s future in the long run. I am working on getting a six seat dog cart for fall and spring tours on dryland. It will be one of the most unique outdoor adventuress you can find. It will be the first of it’s kind on the west coast and I predict that it once we announce the details of reasonable cost, the beautiful and exciting trails, that you will will put it one your adventure…..to do list. Rides will be scheduled to start in early October and available until the snows hit, in which at that point we will switch over to dogsled tours. Then when the sled dog tour trails melt out and the trails dry some, we will start up the cart rides again and will run sometime into late May.
One of the great advantages to cart rides is a whole family can go all together and I will be able to once again to large group events like how we used to be able to with the short dogsled rides for the Girl Scouts. We would love to include Cub and Boy Scouts, Church groups, etc.
Some times it takes a setback to open your eyes to new possibilities. I believe that with the cart that Dogsled Express will be able to expand our client base and length of season to where I could continue the business as long as my old body can hold out, at which point we will have built the business into something that we can pass onto someone else who loves the dogs and dog pulling sports as much as I. Stay tuned for more updates as the year progresses and don’t forget to check out Pat’s new book, “Song of the Runners”. How to get details on the right side of our Website Home Page.
A heart felt thanks to all the good folks that called all winter in hopes that we may get open for business. We appreciate all the kind words, support and promises to try again next winter. So looking forward to next fall after I have a busy summer fighting forest fires.
We have around 3 0r4 inches of snow on the trail now and there is more snow predicted today. If it doesn’t turn to rains then we could be open by later this Saturday through Sunday. There will be rains later this week so I can’t say how long the trails will last as of now. I will post more as I know more. Ski park just called and said a pickup already drove on it this morning but we can groom out that tire rut if we get some more snow. Keeping our fingers crossed.
How about that. Just when you think the possibility of not getting in operation this season, now they are predicting decent snow producing storms for the Month of March!!!! If this forecast continues we will be available for tours this spring. As soon as we see definite storms that will produce workable amounts of snow we will post it on this blog site.
Well it has been quite the winter. We did receive 10″ of snow a week ago, but unfortunately we had two days of hard rains that took all of our snow with it. I don’t see any snow of enough amounts to get us going through this next weekend of the 22nd and 23rd. It breaks our hearts to have to call clients and inform them of the bad news. If by chance we don’t get into operation this winter, we do plan on doing tours again next year and God willing, years to come. If you made a deposit for this season you have two options. Often folks have us hold the deposit for the next season or you may e-mail me with your present address and I will refund you with my personal check. I don’t like to refund through Paypal because it is a pain in the butt. Gift certificates are good for years to come. I don’t refund gift certificates unless it is in family gift, (example: husband to wife).
We are planning on having a new and exciting addition for our customers by next October. The newest adventure sport of Dog Cart Tours! I have been looking for a cart for years that would help extend our season from Oct. till the snow falls and then again cart rides in the spring through May. I have finally found the cart that will be both exciting and fun to ride in while offering the safety that Dogsled Express demands for its clients. We will be offering private and group tours. Details as the year progresses. For some reason I am having a hard time creating a link to Moose River Carts. We will be getting a six seat unit. You may google: Moose River Cart Co. to see pictures of the cart.
If you think dog cart rides is something you might like, please dropus an e-mail of your interest so we can get some feedback from you. Thanks Pat
We will not be giving tours this weekend due to the heavy rains that we received on our snow from last weekend. We do have a good base throughout most of our trail system but we need a cold snow to come in and fill in the open spots on the lower part of the trail. Good news is that we do have a cold snow storm coming in next Tuesday so it is looking positive for next week’s tours. I will know more in a couple of days when NOAA predicts the snow amounts coming in. Thanks for your patience with this unusual winter we are having.
We’ve received around 12″ of snow two nights ago and then had rain off and on since. Monday I will go to the trailhead and hopefully after the hard rains today that there will be still decent snow conditions so I can groom the trail out and then it should freeze Monday night and set up to where we can operate on it with dogsleds. We have tours booked for next week and are praying that we will be able to provide good conditions. There is a series of small storms throughout this week and if the temps would drop just a couple of degrees less than predicted then we would get some wonderful lights snows and the trails would be awesome. I will update again Monday night after I see what the trail looks like. Thanks so much for your patience and interest in still getting out on a tour with us this season. Pat Campbell
Big News. We are suppose to have a significant snow coming in by next weekend. We will give you more as we see it. As of now the City of Mount Shasta is predicted to get 10″ of snow which may mean 1 to 2 feet of snow at our trailhead. There are more spring snows called for into Mid-March, so we may have excellent spring time sledding conditions. Keep up the snow dances!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is looking very hopeful that we will be getting a substantial amount of snowfall for the month of Feb. If we have the snow tours will be available for the 8th and 9th of Feb., because the Siskiyou Sled Dog races have been postponed until the second weekend in March. We are taking reservations for Feb. and March. No deposits will be necessary for the remainder of the season. Thank you for all the people that are still staying in contact for tours for the remainder of the season. We need your business this season to continue in future years.